downloading clients from internic approved sites

Eating Before Swimming (mathboy@sizone.org)
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 14:40:57 -0400 (EDT)

then C Matthew Curtin's all..

> Scott> I keep getting an "Export status not determined" message when
> Scott> trying to get to the download page for the new UltraSparc
> Scott> client. It is probably just overloaded, it took quite a while
> Scott> to come back. DNS/revdns here is fine.
>
> newsman is far from being overloaded. :-)
>
> The delay in processing the request is caused by delays in getting a
> reply back from a whois query against the InterNIC.

ACK! This is such a wonky way to get data! I really hate being
subjected to spam mail and other prying eyes sticking me into
databases... so I forged my internic records strongly. Check out
sizone.org. Heh. ("Daddy, are you going to jail?" "We'll see son.")

Wether this is good or bad I dont care. My email address attached works and
so do my NS1 2 and 3 so thats all that matters to me. Why should anyone get
to know my street address -- who am I, C&S who want fax and parcel bombs?
(No I am not hiding from the govt, I know CSIS has files on me cuz I ran a
BBS before 1987 and had the anarchist' cookbook online... big deal... Im
hiding from spammers... all my spam comes thru my clients domains who insist
on registering me or root@ into internic... and my .forward s get me.)

These arent the days of the local community-feel UUCP map database whom
I felt alot safer handing off my info to (up to a point... then I got
dedicated internet access and didnt care... and then realized how truly
robust UUCP was: me without a map entry for two years and having not
had a dialup from my upstream provider for that time -- yet spam made
it to one of my ancient twisted UUCP bang paths tho half the hosts
along the path didnt exist anymore!)

Anyway, thats also mhy I dont give out my real name in Gecos/mail from:
fields (tho Im a standup guy and put it in my sig -- yes, humans can
still get at it (and prolly smarter machines)) but it cuts down alot of
"name to email" mapping databases

Call me paranoid. Wait, you should be on my side -- arent we all
crypto-savvy and users thereof? :)

** SO JUST USE AN HTTP PROXY **

Yes thats how I get the clients, and yes you can do this from outside
the US and Canada, and no I didnt blow the cover on this possibility:
we use crypto cuz security thru obscurity doesnt work, right? (This is
how netscape is keeping tight wraps on the extortion bug tho...)

ISNT there another way to verify location somehow? Its too bad there isnt
some sort of database of maps of physical locations of routers along a
route to a host. (But then that could be used by terrorists I guess)

But thats just silly cuz the terminal end of the route could be a dialup
(T1 or just 28.8) to the UK or otherwise.

Doesnt this silly discussion just show how out of /style/ the ITAR
regulations are?

I spose there are no other ways than just using the whois... or a proxy...
or taking your proof of residence to a notary and getting it signed...

/kc

--
Ken Chase mathboy@sizone.org Sonic Interzone $free$ email/news Toronto Canada
Join the DES Challenge! Wake up the US Govt!   www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm

NB:Only 16000 P200-months CPU req'd to recover 56-bit IBM alliance keys! ** U.S. EXPORT LAWS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOUR COUNTRY: DEVELOP YOUR NATIONS' OWN CRYPTO-EXPORT INDUSTRY! USE 2048bit KEYS FREELY! FLAUNT YOUR SOVEREIGNTY! **

--OAA16859.866313445/bsd.megaworks.com--