Re: Forcing 2^31 keys/block

Rodney R. Korte (rrk102@psu.edu)
Mon, 16 Jun 97 16:50:07 -0400

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997 14:32:13 -0500 (CDT), Timur Tabi wrote:

>>>The client tops off at 2^30 keys on my machine, which it can do in about 45
>>>minutes. I'd like to be able to tell it to crank
>>>on 2^32 or even 2^33 keys per block so that it doesn't keep calling my ISP
>>>15 minutes after it hangs up (30-min timeout). Plus,
>>>I think 45 minutes is just too short anyway. I checked the FAQ, but there
>>>doesn't seem to be any way to force a larger blocksize, short of running
>>>another task or two copies of deschall (both of which are not options).

At the start of the challenge, the DESCHAL client (or the server)
increased key block size until the computation time would be as
close to one hour but not more. Some weeks ago, this restriction
was changed to 2 hours.

[ Now, why you aren't getting 2^31 keys I don't understand, since
you say it's taking 45 minutes per block on your machine. ]

There is no way to force a client to a certain key size with a
command line option or some other simple method.

Not really... you said:

>The client tops off at 2^30 keys on my machine, which it can do in
>about 45 minutes. I'd like to be able to tell it to crank
>on 2^32 or even 2^33 keys per block so that it doesn't keep calling
>my ISP 15 minutes after it hangs up (30-min timeout). Plus,
>I think 45 minutes is just too short anyway. I checked the FAQ, but
>there doesn't seem to be any way to force a larger blocksize,
>short of running another task or two copies of deschall (both of which
>are not options).

Seems to me that you were complaining that you were connected
to your ISP 30+ minutes out of every 45. My cute little rexx
script isn't fancy, but it would alleviate this problem.

>I don't want the client to connect to the server every 45 minutes.
>I want it to try ever 2-3 hours instead.

Now that's a different story.

As I pointed out above, there is no option to force what you want.
Your best bet is to run two clients, and synchronize them so that
they end nearly at the same time so that one dial-up session serves
both clients.

If you go over 2 hours for one key block on either client, that
client will back off to 2^29 keys to bring the time to less than 2
hours. [ Of course, this doesn't jive with your 45 minute block
time, but hey, this is the way it is supposed to be working. ]

Or, run a chron job to decrement your system clock 1/2 hour
every hour. But be careful! That could be tricky! ;-P Personally,
I'd opt for using a method such as DIALIN.

Rod

--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
korte@sabine.acs.psu.edu    ---> MIME, PGP (finger for key) welcome.

Crack DES NOW! http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm