Re: Forcing 2^31 keys/block

Robert S Brewer (rbrewer@lava.net)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:28:49 -1000

In message Greg Trotter <greg@ou.edu> writes:
>At 12:55 PM -0500 6/16/97, Timur Tabi wrote:
>>The client tops off at 2^30 keys on my machine, which it can do in
>>about 45 minutes. I'd like to be able to tell it to crank
>>on 2^32 or even 2^33 keys per block so that it doesn't keep calling
>>my ISP 15 minutes after it hangs up (30-min timeout).
>
>You could fire up an email client, and have it check mail often enough that
>your ISP doesn't time you out.

Of course, this tends to piss off the ISP. Speaking as the administrator of
one, please don't do this. It ties up a modem and a phoneline for essentially
no reason. It also clogs up the telco's switch. As several people have pointed
out there are easy ways to only dial up when you have results to report to
the server: the OS/2 REXX script, DESGUI for Win95 & NT, and the new MacOS
client.

This has been a public service announcement from a DESCHALL-friendly ISP. :)