Re: Forcing 2^31 keys/block

Stephen Haffly (hafflys@primenet.com)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:08:59 MST

** Reply to note from Robert S Brewer <rbrewer@lava.net> Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:28:49 -1000

> In message Greg Trotter <greg@ou.edu> writes:
> >At 12:55 PM -0500 6/16/97, Timur Tabi wrote:
> >>The client tops off at 2^30 keys on my machine, which it can do in
> >>about 45 minutes. I'd like to be able to tell it to crank
> >>on 2^32 or even 2^33 keys per block so that it doesn't keep calling
> >>my ISP 15 minutes after it hangs up (30-min timeout).
> >
> >You could fire up an email client, and have it check mail often enough that
> >your ISP doesn't time you out.
>
> Of course, this tends to piss off the ISP. Speaking as the
> administrator of one, please don't do this. It ties up a modem and
> a phoneline for essentially no reason. It also clogs up the telco's
> switch. As several people have pointed out there are easy ways to
> only dial up when you have results to report to the server: the
> OS/2 REXX script, DESGUI for Win95 & NT, and the new MacOS client.
>
> This has been a public service announcement from a
> DESCHALL-friendly ISP. :)

Not to mention that such an e-mail pinging is not answering the
problem. I had thought something similar, as I also run the OS/2
client. I solved it for now by registering InJoy, a replacement
dialer, configuring it to auto-connect when a PPP request was made by
one of my programs (DESCHALL included), and then setting it up with a
short three minute timeout. If I want to keep it connected longer, I
have been using PMPING to ping the DNS once a minute, often enough to
stay connected, but not constantly.

Anyway, it is another option for dialing, but not for a longer period
between key sets. The idea of running two DESCHALL clients is
interesting though. Next time I have to shut it down for some work,
I will start two sessions on restart and see how it works.

---
Stephen Haffly
hafflys@primenet.com   Homepage:  www.primenet.com/~hafflys
Team OS/2, Team GEOS
OS/2 and Geoworks Ensemble - What a combo!