Re: Truth and Hype

Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:48:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Terrence L. Domjan wrote:

> make me want to ask this question:
> What is the real purpose of DESCHALL?

Take your pick, I think we're showing a number of things. Personally, I
think the most important is that we've demonstrated that a project like
this CAN be done. It's one thing to postulate that a hypotheticaly group
of thousands of internet users could potentially crack a DES message. It's
quite another to actually do it.

> - The NSA ALLOWS public-key cyptography to exist because they
> know it's flawed.

Huh? The NSA doesn't "allow" anything. In fact, they're one of the major
reasons why strong crypto isn't widespread.

> After all, they helped IBM with DES.

And, have privately remarked that it was a big mistake to do so. Schneier
has an interesting section on this.

> The result of reading this particular DES message will only serve
> to inflame the sensationalist media.

I'd say getting the media alarmed about the lack of wide-spread, strong
crypto is a Good Thing.

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Ring around the Internet / Packet with a bit not set /
ACK ENQ ACK ENQ / And we all go down!