deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com

Karl J. Runge (runge@crl.com)
Tue, 17 Jun 97 22:51 PDT

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Stephen Haffly <hafflys@primenet.com> wrote:
> And if my little old AMD 5x86/133 running approximately 147k keys/sec
> wins, likewise. You presented some good reasons to keep it plugging
> away.
>
> I realize my chances of getting the key are very slimm. I tried to
> calculate a percentage, but it was too small for the calculator ;-).

Pretty lame calculator! I estimate your odds are 0.0025%
I've got my two 486's chugging away here at home so my chances 0.0036%.

These seem tiny, but, well, there are 13,000 (probably more) hosts
out there! The great thing is that Rocke's client-server system works so
well slow machines don't get in the way, so we just keep them cranking
away. There is no reason to quit.

I know this is corny, but my pc's hit the 1 trillion keys mark last night.
I like the sound of that number. That's what I tell my laymen (and
non-laymen!) friends about my contribution. 3000 CPU hours on a 486 is
still a good crunch!!

Karl