Re: Monster machines vs. desktops

Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:07:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Stephen Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Greg Trotter wrote:
> > Yes, well, let's include the cost of a power supply, hard drive, case, etc.
> > to keep the comparison honest.
> I'm seeing a lot of extras in there... Might as well throw in a sound
> card while we're at it, no? That's about as relevant to DESCHALL's
> performance as the case (run it in a cardboard box) or a hard drive (use a
> boot floppy)....
>
> Of course, the one item that was overlooked (IIRC) is the network card
> and/or modem used to supply the route to the keyserver. (Of course, since
> you don't need a FAST connection to the network, we could say, oh... $20?)

Na, get a used arcnet card. The going price seems to be about $1. The cable
is cheaper too. I've got a spare case, power supply, floppy, etc. so besides
the motherboard and power supply I really don't have to pay for anything else.
Maybe two SIMMS.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun. |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu) -- Metallica |