Re: Monster machines vs. desktops

Greg Trotter (greg@ou.edu)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:09:57 -0500

At 2:06 PM -0500 6/18/97, Stephen Langasek wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Greg Trotter wrote:
>> Yes, well, let's include the cost of a power supply, hard drive, case, etc.
>> to keep the comparison honest.
>I'm seeing a lot of extras in there... Might as well throw in a sound
>card while we're at it, no? That's about as relevant to DESCHALL's
>performance as the case (run it in a cardboard box) or a hard drive (use a
>boot floppy)....

The case is not required... heck, I can deal with a boot floppy. The power
supply is non-negotiable.

The point of my post is to see what it would cost to reproduce the results
of the deschall project. A PC with a boot floppy, network card and
cardboard box can do the job. The point of my post is that a pentium
motherboard with no power is a doorstop.

>Of course, the one item that was overlooked (IIRC) is the network card
>and/or modem used to supply the route to the keyserver. (Of course, since
>you don't need a FAST connection to the network, we could say, oh... $20?)

I didn't include it because my computer comes from the factory with a
10Base-T port.

- greg

--
Greg Trotter
Production Manager, Student Publications