Re: What's Next?

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Wed, 18 Jun 97 17:37:37 -0500

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:04:10 -0500, Greg Trotter wrote:

>At 3:31 PM -0500 6/18/97, David McNett wrote:
>
>>Allow me to be the first to mention that there is a serious effort to
>>break 56-bit RC5 already underway at http://rc5.distributed.net.
>
>They could really benefit from the deschall programmers... their client
>runs at about one third the speed the DESCHALL client did on my Mac...

Actually, the RC5 algorythm is tougher, plus the DES clients checked
pairs (so we really had a 55 bit keyspace), so for every key it
checked, it eliminated a second automatically. For this reason, I
expect the RC5 client to not excede half the speed of DESCHALL.
However, there is a new RC5 client expected this week for x86 machines.

Colin L. Hildinger

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page