Re: What's Next?

andrew meggs (insect@antennahead.com)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 19:28:08 -0400

At 6:20 PM -0400 6/18/97, C Matthew Curtin wrote:

>Greg> They could really benefit from the deschall programmers... their
>Greg> client runs at about one third the speed the DESCHALL client did
>Greg> on my Mac...
>
>Remember that you can't compare the speed of RC5 encryptions with DES
>encryptions. The two algortihms are very different. RC5 encryptions
>are more expensive to perform, computationally, than DES.

However, the computations in RC5 are much more natural for a mainstream CPU
to perform, so it evens out. DES was never intended to be implemented in
software.

As for the specific performance of Bovine's PowerPC client, I've got their
code and a 3x speedup might not be unrealistic. I've seen compilers that
wrote better assembly than what they're using now.

Andrew Meggs, content provider Antennahead Industries, Inc.
<mailto:insect@antennahead.com> <http://www.antennahead.com>