Re: What's Next?

Evan Jeffrey (ejeffrey@eliot213.wuh.wustl.edu)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 19:34:10 -0500

>On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:04:10 -0500, Greg Trotter wrote:
>
>Actually, the RC5 algorythm is tougher, plus the DES clients checked
>pairs (so we really had a 55 bit keyspace), so for every key it
>checked, it eliminated a second automatically. For this reason, I
>expect the RC5 client to not excede half the speed of DESCHALL.
>However, there is a new RC5 client expected this week for x86 machines.

No, we had a true 56 bit keyspace, it is just that checking pairs eliminates
some load instructions because the data is the same. Still takes one crypt
per key (well, except that most keys could be eliminated from consideration
before completeing the whole algorithm, but I don't know enough about DES to
comment on that)

===
Evan Jeffrey
erjeffre@artsci.wustl.edu

Let us go. Let us leave this festering hell hole. Let us think the
unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the
ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
--Dirk Gently