Re: Now What (what next)

David Weingart (dbw11@cornell.edu)
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:24:10 -0400 (EDT)

>At 01:54 PM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>My personal allegiance is still to GIMPS, however. :)
>
>In the long run, GIMPS will be the effort to support. [I worked on GIMPS as
>early as a year ago.] But there is nothing time critical about finding
>Mersenne primes. GIMPS can wait. Let's show the world just how fast we can
>crack RC5-56 and then move on to a 64 bit cipher. We can do it!

For what it's worth, I think we should go after more crytographic targets.
I think it's a more important short term goal, given the legislative
climate in the U.S.

But the other projects sound interesting as well.

-dave

David Weingart |
dbw11@cornell.edu |
"The foot can split wood....but it can't split a watermelon"