Re: WAS THIS LEGAL?

Arvin Meyer (onsite@esinet.net)
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 09:48:41 -0400

> From: Terrence L. Domjan <questor@fast.net>
> To: DESCHALL <deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com>
> Subject: WAS THIS LEGAL?
> Date: Friday, June 20, 1997 4:13 AM
>
> "A lottery is defined as "a plan which provides for the
> distribution of money, property or other reward or benefit to
> persons selected by chance from among participants some or all of
> whom have given a consideration for the chance of being
> selected." Minnesota Statute Section 609.75, Subdivision 1(a)
> (1994)."
>
> ==== Was DESCHALL an illegal lottery? ====

The fact that this effort was highly publicized, over a several month
period, should bring questions to the mind of the courts about the timely
prosecution of the Deschall effort. Any legal authority which tried to
prosecute either Rocke or Michael would probably lose. In addition
"consideration" is usually legally defined as money; none of us paid any
money to Rocke or RSA. None of us paid any other "consideration" to anyone
who would stand to gain. In fact any of our costs would be incidental to
our participation.

Not to mention that it would be politically unpopular to even try to
prosecute. It is the kind of issue that would have few if any supporters on
the pro prosecution side, and at least 76,000 (the approximate number of us
who participated) on the anti side. And who are these 76,000?

At least 12,000 ( the number who participated daily) of us are the cream of
the burgeoning computer literate population of the U.S. and Canada. We have
demonstrated to the world that we are serious about cooperation, issues of
privacy, and distributed computing. We wield power. We are the future. The
backlash to the states who might try to prosecute would be awesome.

I would consider it my civil duty to e-mail copies of the Constitution and
the U.S. Code of the various interested offices within that government. If
I didn't receive a timely answer, I would almost certainly have to remail.
If several thousand of us did something similar, I suspect the computer
systems within that state might have some difficulty coping.

Just my 2 cents,
Arvin Meyer
onsite@esinet.net