Mailing-List about distributed computing projects?

Garance A Drosehn (gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu)
Sat, 21 Jun 97 20:22:56 -0400

Erik Kline <ekline@hal.com> writes:
> So: I'm looking for a way to easily incorporate the idle, spare
> machines into a computational crunch pool. But I also need to be
> able to remove any of them at any time. I haven't figured out
> the best way to do this yet, but I'd like to have these machines
> devoted to "spare cycle, distributed computing" projects. Any
> architecture thoughts? Cool projects? I'm currently trying to
> get the rc5 bovine/distributed.net client up and running...

I wonder if we could have a list about how-to-setup distributed
computing projects in a general sense, as an offshoot of this
deschall-specific one.

In my case, I'm not as interested in the RC5 challange as I was in
the DES challenge, but I am interested in throwing these idle
computer cycles at some other ("as yet to be determined") projects.
Perhaps the GIMPS project, perhaps some thing RPI-specific. In
any case, the descall list came up with many good ideas for how to
run a distributed program like this. I'd like to talk about how
to run such programs in general, without caring what the specific
program is. I do think it's fine if that includes talking about
some list of possible projects, but I don't want to focus on any
one specific project.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer        (MIME & NeXTmail capable)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA