Re: Mailing-List about distributed computing projects?

Colin L. Hildinger (colin@ionet.net)
Sat, 21 Jun 97 20:02:26 -0500

On Sat, 21 Jun 97 20:22:56 -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:

>Erik Kline <ekline@hal.com> writes:
>> So: I'm looking for a way to easily incorporate the idle, spare
>> machines into a computational crunch pool. But I also need to be
>> able to remove any of them at any time. I haven't figured out
>> the best way to do this yet, but I'd like to have these machines
>> devoted to "spare cycle, distributed computing" projects. Any
>> architecture thoughts? Cool projects? I'm currently trying to
>> get the rc5 bovine/distributed.net client up and running...
>
>I wonder if we could have a list about how-to-setup distributed
>computing projects in a general sense, as an offshoot of this
>deschall-specific one.
>
>In my case, I'm not as interested in the RC5 challange as I was in
>the DES challenge, but I am interested in throwing these idle
>computer cycles at some other ("as yet to be determined") projects.
>Perhaps the GIMPS project, perhaps some thing RPI-specific. In
>any case, the descall list came up with many good ideas for how to
>run a distributed program like this. I'd like to talk about how
>to run such programs in general, without caring what the specific
>program is. I do think it's fine if that includes talking about
>some list of possible projects, but I don't want to focus on any
>one specific project.

I agree. I know distributed.net plans on using GIMPS as an
intermediate project after 56-bit RC5 and before 64-bit (they say that
the switchover will be easy, though) and then after 64-bit and before
72, etc., but I'd like to see a permanent GIMPS server set up. Also,
what other ideas does anyone have about distributed computing? Maybe a
render farm where you could actually sell the CPU cycles? I'd be
interested in some sort of business like this.

Colin L. Hildinger

Join Team Warped Today and Help Win RSA's 56-bit RC5 Contest
http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html

Games Editor - OS/2 e-Zine!
http://www.os2ezine.com/

The Ultimate OS/2 Gaming Page