Re: Mailing-List about distributed computing projects?

Garance A Drosehn (gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu)
Sat, 21 Jun 97 23:36:44 -0400

Colin Hildinger <colin@ionet.net> writes:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 97 20:22:56 -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if we could have a list about how-to-setup distributed
> > computing projects in a general sense, as an offshoot of this
> > deschall-specific one.
> >
> > In my case, I'm not as interested in the RC5 challange as I was
> > in the DES challenge, but I am interested in throwing these idle
> > computer cycles at some other ("as yet to be determined") projects.
> > Perhaps the GIMPS project, perhaps some thing RPI-specific.
>
> I agree. I know distributed.net plans on using GIMPS as an
> intermediate project after 56-bit RC5 and before 64-bit (they
> say that the switchover will be easy, though) and then after
> 64-bit and before 72, etc., but I'd like to see a permanent GIMPS
> server set up.

Note that I'm thinking more about a mailing list on:
How to do any "idle-cpu burning" distributed application

and not anything specific to GIMPS. (a mailing list for GIMPS is
also a good thing, of course, I'm just saying that would be separate
from the mailing list I'm talking about here).

For instance, thanks to the deschall list I learned about using
the "hinv" command under IRIX for really making an application
behave "nice". That fact is useful for implementing any distributed
application, it is not tied to a specific application.

All the tips-and-tricks for doing things with windows, for instance,
aren't really specific to deschall.

> Also, what other ideas does anyone have about distributed computing?
> Maybe a render farm where you could actually sell the CPU cycles?
> I'd be interested in some sort of business like this.

In my case, all the machines I'm using are really RPI's property,
so I can't imagine getting away with this... :-) (although I do
think this would be a good topic for the kind of list I'm thinking
of)

I think it would be really nice if I could provide some kind of
general facility which could take advantage of idle cycles to run
various programs that students here might write for their masters
project or something. That's exactly why I'm looking for something
which is not tied to a specific project, because I may end up with
projects which are all specific to RPI.

Then again, if some RPI students come up with a particularly big
project, I might want to talk everyone else into running it, so I
don't want to rule out anything I might want to take advantage of
at some later point... :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer        (MIME & NeXTmail capable)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA