Re: Big Science Needs Your Idle Cycles

Arvin Meyer (onsite@esinet.net)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 01:05:14 -0400

> From: Stephen Haffly <hafflys@primenet.com>

> On the other hand, how many years has VB had to become useful?
> Remember that Java is still a very young language, and people are
> still figuring it out. The hoopla about Java isn't that it currently
> is the fastest system around, but that it promises cross-platform
> programs, something that Microsoft seems to be dead set against
> because it would threaten their dominant (monopolistic) market
> position.

You are right, of course, which is exactly the same argument I use when
comparing NT to Unix. MS has jumped on the Java bandwagon though (They go
where they see profit ...not an altogether unheard of concept) And NT
supports several platforms too, although that's being cut back in NT5 to
just Intel, and DEC Alpha (both 32 & 64 bit)

C supports multiple platforms also, but has to be optimized and compiled on
each of them. Not necessarily a bad idea either. We have seen that custom
optimizing of the Deschall client led to some awesome performance.

One of the major reasons the Unix O/S is so popular amongst programmers, is
the ultimate O/S control. NT doesn't allow writing to the hardware ...which
is one reason it is unpopular. (But I think that aspect of NT is more
secure). With NT you must write to the API, unless you're very clever. (Not
me !) This is less efficient though.

But the truth is, everyone is right, just like religion. There just happens
to be more efficient ways to doing things than Java ...but as you say
..that could change.

Arvin Meyer

On-Site Solutions

"Developing results-oriented databases for companies
that demand a tangible return on investment."

e-mail: onsite@esinet.net
phone: (804) 973-9140
http://www.esinet.net/cabg/consult/onsite.html