Re: Big Science Needs Your Idle Cycles

Richard Hendricks (hendric@serv1.jump.net)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 01:29:41 +0000

> From: "Arvin Meyer" <onsite@esinet.net>
> To: "DES" <Deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com>,
> "Stephen Haffly" <hafflys@primenet.com>
> Subject: Re: Big Science Needs Your Idle Cycles
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 01:05:14 -0400

> > From: Stephen Haffly <hafflys@primenet.com>
>
> > On the other hand, how many years has VB had to become useful?
> > Remember that Java is still a very young language, and people are
> > still figuring it out. The hoopla about Java isn't that it currently
> > is the fastest system around, but that it promises cross-platform
> > programs, something that Microsoft seems to be dead set against
> > because it would threaten their dominant (monopolistic) market
> > position.
> >
> You are right, of course, which is exactly the same argument I use when
> comparing NT to Unix. MS has jumped on the Java bandwagon though (They go
> where they see profit ...not an altogether unheard of concept) And NT
> supports several platforms too, although that's being cut back in NT5 to
> just Intel, and DEC Alpha (both 32 & 64 bit)

Java is made...Java is portable...Java gets a market...Microsoft wants
market...Microsoft makes Java fast (but only on MS machines)...Java
market becomes MS...MS kills Java...

Imagine it told in Ian Malcom's voice from Jurassic Park.

Or,

PowerPC is better than Intel...Microsoft wants to kill
PPC...Microsoft ports NT...Everyone uses NT on PPC...Microsoft drops
PPC support...PPC dies...

Etc.

> C supports multiple platforms also, but has to be optimized and compiled on
> each of them. Not necessarily a bad idea either. We have seen that custom
> optimizing of the Deschall client led to some awesome performance.
>
> One of the major reasons the Unix O/S is so popular amongst programmers, is
> the ultimate O/S control. NT doesn't allow writing to the hardware ...which
> is one reason it is unpopular. (But I think that aspect of NT is more
> secure). With NT you must write to the API, unless you're very clever. (Not
> me !) This is less efficient though.
>
> But the truth is, everyone is right, just like religion. There just happens
> to be more efficient ways to doing things than Java ...but as you say
> ..that could change.
>
> Arvin Meyer
>
> On-Site Solutions
>
> "Developing results-oriented databases for companies
> that demand a tangible return on investment."
>
> e-mail: onsite@esinet.net
> phone: (804) 973-9140
> http://www.esinet.net/cabg/consult/onsite.html

Richard Hendricks, Applications Engineer, Austin, Texas
Currently, the USA graduates ten lawyers for every
engineer.  In Japan, the numbers are reversed.  Is it
a surprise they are where they are?  The only way the
US can regain its dignity is to change that ratio.

hendric@jump.net