RE: Big Science Needs Your Idle Cycles **SETI UPDATE**

Michael R. McClelland (drizzt@iaonline.com)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:20:55 -0500

On Sunday, June 22, 1997 8:20 PM, Lindgren Fredrik
[SMTP:fli@solnet.sollentuna.se] wrote:
> >This project is just getting started and already looks First Class!
> >They are looking for volunteers and aliens. Check it out at:
> >http://www.bigscience.com/
> >
> Yes, this project looks very cool indeed.
> However, it looks like the clients will be in Java?!
> ----snip----- edit edit -----.
>
>As it stands today, Java and performance is
> mutually exclusive.
>
> Anyway, this is _my_ thoughts on the subject... :)
>
> Regards,
> Fredrik Lindgren
> SolNET DES Team

Hi All,
I forwarded Lindgren's comments to David Gedye [Gedye@starwave.com] (SETI
project) because I was also interested in an answer to the slow Java
question. Here is his answer:

>Hi Michael --
>
>The simple answer is that Java is only going to be used for the control
>and visualization.
>
>C++ optimized for the specific platform will be used for the math.
>Please feel free to forward this back to the Deschall mail list.

Does this make anyone happier? From my limited knowledge of programming
I'd suspect the math could be further optimized using 'gulp' assembler. I
never had the patience for low level programming. This is all still in
early stages from the looks of it and that makes it even more interesting.
I'm keeping the rc5 running but when SETI launches, I'm there dude.
Sincerely, Mike McClelland