Re: Request for Comments

Dave Ahn (ahn@indigo2.rad.bgsm.edu)
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:39:35 -0400

On Wed, Jun 25, 1997 at 05:11:44PM -0700, M. Heroux wrote:

> You are right, and for that reason, we should not list *ANY* domains. If
> you are listing one, you list everybody.. I dont CARE what domains did the
> most work...

I disagree with the intent of listing the domains. Obviously, listing all
would be the best thing, but there is only so much space on the shirt.
Certainly, listing as many as we can fit, rather than listing the top 25
domains, is a better tribute to the distributed effort. Like you,
I don't care what domain did most of the work, but I also realize that
we must be practical about this. Instead of using an "XXX keys/sec"
threshold to cut down the hosts, why not contact the shirt printer
and ask them for the number of characters available on the back,
given the design I recommended? That way, we can fit as many as possible.

In fact, doing something like this is less legible, but perhaps worth
considering:

[ DESCHALL: xxx billion keys/sec ]

sun.com uiuc.com bgsm.edu ...
thisdomain.com thatdomain.com ...

Personally, I'd rather see a row column format for readability.

Dave.

--
Dave Ahn,  ahn@vec.bgsm.edu             "When you were born you cried, and the
                                         world rejoiced.  Try to live your life