Re: Plaintext

Garance A Drosehn (gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu)
Wed, 2 Jul 97 17:18:40 -0400

Christopher Thompson <CThompson@suncor.com> writes:
> Something's been bothering me for a few days.
>
> If we hadn't have known _anything_ about the plain text of the
> DES-encrypted message, we wouldn't have been able to decrypt it,
> even using brute force. Is this correct?

It would have been a bit more work to decrypt it, but that's just
a matter of applying a bit more force to the brute-force method.
You'd have to add some heuristic to determine if a given key
decrypted it into something that "kinda looks like a message".

This wouldn't be too bad if we know the message was in english,
but it would get even tougher if we didn't know the language
the message was written in.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =     gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer        (MIME & NeXTmail capable)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA