Re: Plaintext

Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 15:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Timothy C. Hagman wrote:
> Nelson Minar penned, off the top of the head:
> > entropy to prevent analysis on the plaintext. What do you do in that
> > circumstance?
>
> Find the holder of the passphrase, point a gun at him or her, and
> demand it. Cheap, effective, and nearly always yields results.
> (And most major governments can afford guns ;)

The gun isn't even necessary. Just call them up and say you're from net ops
or something. All this talk about attacking cryptographic algorithms is kind
of silly, since the weak link by far is people. It would have been much
faster to brute force open the desk at RSA where someone wrote the key down.

|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun |
|curiosity teasing everyone \ on our home, third stone from the sun. |
|Trent Piepho (xyzzy@u.washington.edu) -- Metallica |