Re: interesting...

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:37:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Evan Jeffrey wrote:

> This item is classified as "a strategic commodity / product" in accordance
> with the COCOM Agreements. Export of this item may require an export
> license from the Government.

Hmmph. If it's the same COCOM as in:

<URL:http://www.interedu.com./LiveCard.cgi$tsPR%201.1a5_siA294938263842_tc82651>

Then it is some sort of export restriction (although that URL says COCOM
disbanded a few years ago... Old tapes? :)

> drive, or C) the US is the only country with people capable of spraying
> magnetic particles on a piece of plastic?

I'll take door C, Monty. At least, that's probably what Uncle Sam would
like to believe. BTW, are they still tacking on a charge to DAT's
purchaced for audio use? IIRC, when they first came out the music industry
was paranoid about losses due to those "perfect digital copies," and so
that managed to force through a tax/fee on all "music" DAT's, which would
be used to reimburse the music giants for their "losses."

(dolske@cis.ohio-state.edu)
Witty comment revoked due to budget cuts.